Not much has happened on my end over the past few days, but I've been deeply troubled by much of the world community, in the way it has chosen to portray Israel, during protests against the war in Gaza. So, I will share a few words.
I just graduated from an intensely liberal college, and at one point I considered myself a very liberal person. At said institution I often found myself defending any and all actions Israel has taken, in any capacity, with blatant disregard for what truly is "human rights." I certainly don't agree with everything the government of Israel does, and when I was living in the U.S. I was much more critical than I am now. However, the more time I spend here, the more I understand why what Israel does to defend itself is well within the boundaries of reason, and the rules of war.
Over 10,000 rockets, missles, and mortars have been shot into Israel over the last 8 years. Has the world community, at any point, stood up for Israelis stating this is a violation of human rights? No. Do you have any Idea what it is like to have to run for your life MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY, every single day? Certainly not. At this point neither do I, but I can feel the fear of lack of stability and peace. Sure, Jerusalem is far from the fighting, and we haven't had rocket scares yet, but it is on everyone's mind... constantly. It doesn't need to be a rocket, it can be a single person, who was able to get through a checkpoint, on a bus full of innocent civilians with explosives strapped to his chest. You don't know what it feels like to get on a bus and have this thought run through your mind. But I digress.
So, how can people all over the world compare what Israel is doing to Nazism? It is seriously disturbing. Yes, violence and war should be a last resort, and yes it is horrible that innocent people are dying. But it is not even slightly against my better judgement that I support Israel in this offensive against Hamas. Israel has no interest in re-occupying Gaza, nor does it want to terrorize Gazan civilians, much less wipe them off the face of the earth. But, when this "government" called Hamas is digging tunnels to smuggle in rockets that can reach Beer Sheva, and now almost Tel Aviv, stockpiles missiles in Mosques, Schools, and Hospitals, uses their own people as human shields, and pummels southern Israel with mortars daily with the intent to kill, maim, and terrorize innocent civilians merely because they are Jews... the world community is silent.
Well wait, that sounds backwards. You mean to tell me that the group that is stockpiling weapons, manipulating their people with venomous propaganda, and purposefully trying annihilate an entire nation using said weapons are perfectly innocent? Oh, that makes sense! What kind of basic human rights can they be violating? Oh, it doesn't matter because the people and state they're terrorizing is Israel! (Just to be clear that part was sarcasm) And when Israel retaliates isn't it easy for people to twist around the horrors that were committed over 60 years ago back onto the people who were the recipients. It is an abomination that the two can even be compared.
Israel is NOT attempting to carry out a 'final solution' of wiping the millions of people living in Gaza off the face of the earth. They are, however, trying to find a final solution to the violence. The IDF and IAF has been specifically targeting Hamas military stockpiles, rocket cells, and militants. There is even a three hour cease fire each day, which seems to be exclusively held only by the Israelis, to allow humanitarian aid FROM ISRAEL into Gaza. It is unfortunate that Hamas has decided to utilize their own people as weapons, which is exactly true when they use schools, hospitals, and mosques as bases or store houses. There is no easy way to fight this war, in urban areas riddled with booby-traps, and innocent people without bomb-shelters or the ability to leave the country. However, Hamas is a terrorist organization, and until they realize that they cannot abandon the rights of their people and that Israel has a right to exist in this world without compromising the safety and security of its own people, we cannot allow their reign of terror to continue.
Sincerely,
-Yachiel



2 comments:
Israel does have a right to exist, and shouldn't have to put up with rockets from Hamas or Palestinian individuals. But Palestine has a right to exist as well. There is no denying that human rights have been violated on all sides. Right now the death toll Israel has racked up with its defensive offensive seems proportionally unjustifiable, which only puts the country and its civilians in greater danger because it has provoked widespread anger in the region and the world. I agree, comparisons to Nazism are unfounded and offensive, and Hamas has no right to fire on civilians, but a military solution can never bring peace, and the history of Israel/Palestine has all but proven that. Anyway, I hope the ceasefires last, and that a solid peace can be achieved. Be well and stay safe, I'm glad things are going well for you and I miss you around here.
In Peace,
Kendra
I agree. However, what do you propose Israel do? We sat for 8 years, through over 10,000 rockets and bombs. What else is Israel supposed to do? Sit here and take it, while innocent people are terrorized? Yes, war is horrible, and trust me if Israel had a choice it wouldn't have launched an offensive. And what you say is all well and good, but I would really like to hear someone who has this mentality propose a proper solution to the problem. How does one deal with a nation that has an outright hatred for Israel and Jews, and whose sole desire in life is to destroy the Jewish State?
Post a Comment