Chaverim,
So I've made it through my first shabbat as an Oleh. Things have gotten a bit more tense here now that ground troops have been dispersed into Gaza. However, the war really hasn't put a damper on anything going on in Jerusalem, since its so far from the action. As they say in hebrew:
אין בעיה. זה בסדר which means no worries, everything is OK.
Thursday was a very full day for me, especially because of the 5 am wake up. The #1 thing on my priority list was to get on healthcare. Healthcare in Israel is socialized, and the government offers the first six months to Olim for free (as I mentioned earlier). So I ventured out to change some money, and then walked to a post office, where I waited all of five minutes before I was assisted. Now, for those of you who are not aware of Israeli bureaucracy, waiting 5 minutes anywhere, especially in a post office, is almost unheard of! In any case, they processed my paperwork, and then I was off to open a bank account. Unfortunately I was unable to open an account without my Teudat Zehut (ID).
So, I set off to find the Kupot Cholim (Medical center) for my healthcare provider (Maccabi). I got a dozen different directions from Israelis which pretty much had me going in circles for an hour, very typical. ישר ישר עד הסוף straight, straight, until the end, of course completely in the wrong direction. I must have walked into half a dozen different buildings. I got to the right place, finally, at about 12:55 pm. Most offices in Israel close at 1pm until 4pm. So I snuck in right before they locked the door, and once again only had to wait about 7 minutes to be helped. Absurd!
אין בעיה. זה בסדר which means no worries, everything is OK.
Thursday was a very full day for me, especially because of the 5 am wake up. The #1 thing on my priority list was to get on healthcare. Healthcare in Israel is socialized, and the government offers the first six months to Olim for free (as I mentioned earlier). So I ventured out to change some money, and then walked to a post office, where I waited all of five minutes before I was assisted. Now, for those of you who are not aware of Israeli bureaucracy, waiting 5 minutes anywhere, especially in a post office, is almost unheard of! In any case, they processed my paperwork, and then I was off to open a bank account. Unfortunately I was unable to open an account without my Teudat Zehut (ID).
So, I set off to find the Kupot Cholim (Medical center) for my healthcare provider (Maccabi). I got a dozen different directions from Israelis which pretty much had me going in circles for an hour, very typical. ישר ישר עד הסוף straight, straight, until the end, of course completely in the wrong direction. I must have walked into half a dozen different buildings. I got to the right place, finally, at about 12:55 pm. Most offices in Israel close at 1pm until 4pm. So I snuck in right before they locked the door, and once again only had to wait about 7 minutes to be helped. Absurd!
Friday I slept in, and Benjamin (the boy of the family I'm staying with) and I went into town to get me a phone and some lunch. I got a fantastic deal with cellcom. I'm paying 10 NIS (Israeli monetary unit: shekel) a month, which is about $2, and 42 agarot (change equivalent of a dollar) a minute. Friday night I walked up to my cousin's apartment and we went to pray for shabbat at a sephardic minyan (this is a bit hard to explain for those of you who don't know, so if you're really interested write me an email!). The synagogue was absolutely beautiful! The ark, holding the torah's, was made with wood, marble, and many pieces of gold. The bi
mah (alter), also had beautiful gold working on it. It was set up like a traditional sephardic synagogue with a balcony for the women, with a gorgeous hand carved wooden mechitza. To top it all off the chazzan (cantor) had an absolutely fantastic voice.
The rest of shabbat was nice and relaxing. After shabbat, I got together with 5 of my 7 first cousins who are currently in Israel for dinner. It was really nice!
Monday I get my Teudat Zehut and can finish all the errands I need to do, such as start a bank account and the like. Here are a few
The rest of shabbat was nice and relaxing. After shabbat, I got together with 5 of my 7 first cousins who are currently in Israel for dinner. It was really nice!
Monday I get my Teudat Zehut and can finish all the errands I need to do, such as start a bank account and the like. Here are a few
pictures from my flight and one from the apartment I'm staying at. Enjoy!
-Yachiel
-Yachiel



2 comments:
that view from the apartment is beautiful! goodness gracious! you'll be happy to know i've checked and everyone in america hates you because of your horrible "$3.00" a month cell phone bill... When i was in Tzfat on the trip we went to some beautiful synagogues that had gold trim everywhere it is going to be unreal when everything sinks in and you no longer look at it through a "tourist's" eyes. Keep the updates coming and STAY OUT of the war!
-peace, r
What a great view of that apartment! I'm so excited for you. Glad you got to see some family already, it must be nice to have some familiar faces. Meet any nice Jewish girls yet, bud? =P Looking forward to more pictures from over there!
Post a Comment