What a busy week! On monday NBN held a Klitah (absorption) fair for all the new Olim. There were representatives from all sorts of banks, cell phone companies, and health care offices. At the fair we were given our Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card). This is a huge deal, because now I can pretty much do anything a normal Israeli would! At the fair I met a bunch of people who are going to be at my ulpan. After attempting to open a bank account, I'll discuss this later, we all met up for dinner at a really cool vegetarian place called the Village Green. This place really reminds me of Ithaca! There is only one other place I've found that really reminds me of Ithaca called "Tmol Shilshom" which I think means yesterday, and days passed.
Anyway, afterwards a few of us went to a seminar on banking in Israel. I have decided that trying to figure out banking in Israel is HARDER THAN SOLVING THE SCHRODINGER EQUATION! Firstly you have to open an account with a branch closest to where you live, because you work with them exclusively to build up credit. You also get charged for every-single-thing you do with your account. Literally, you get charged for putting money in and for taking money out. So the debit account pretty much works the same way it does in america, except for the charges. But an Israeli credit card is different, you have to have collateral for your spending limit, or something like that. Honestly, I'm not going to even try to explain it because I'm so confused myself... The bottom line is that Banking in Israel is extremely confusing, it takes about a month to deposit a personal check (from dollars to shekels), credit cards aren't really credit, and you get charged for everything!
Tuesday I met up with two people from my ulpan and we all opened a bank account with the branch of Bank HaPoalim nearest to where we will be living. Originally this was supposed to be two blocks from the ulpan, but as some of you know it was moved from a private campus to the Absorption center in talpiyot (a suburb of Jerusalem Proper). We decided to take a walk to the merkaz klita (absorption center) to see where it was, and what our living situations would be like. Instead of being in the middle of a nice neighborhood with lots of cafe's and restaurants... it's in the middle of nowhere! It's about a 20 minute walk from where we were supposed to be living (the original location was shut down due to lack of money). Granted, the area is very pretty, lots of trees and nice views and the like. I don't think it will be bad, just different than I expected. Also, it will be apartment style living with a kitchenette and private bathroom, as opposed to dorm style. So, I can't complain!
Wednesday I took the day off, slept in, and studied hebrew.
Thursday I had an appointment at Misrad Ha'klitah (ministry of absorption) at 11am. I arraived at 11:05, waited until 11:10 for my appt, and was finished by 11:20am! Absurd! I heard so much about Israeli bureaucracy and the most I've waited anywhere is 10 minutes. I attribute this mostly to NBN, I don't know what I would have done without them... So, my Sal Klitah (absorption basket) payments to my bank account are all set up, and I'm done! I have nothing else to do, besides get my diploma certified (but I don't have it yet).
At this point I have my:
Teudat Oleh
Teudat Zehut
Health Insurance
A Cell Phone
A bank account
Registered in an Ulpan
That's it, I'm an Israeli. I've got everything I need to live my life here (except for hebrew skills, but that will come in time). Now it's almost shabbat, and I'm going to rest because I'm coming down with a cold. Be well!
Yours,
-Yachiel



3 comments:
You know, it's interesting about the name of the second place that reminds you of Ithaca. I'd like to hear more about it. Sounds like things are still going well, and that's great to hear! Especially with the lines... Stay healthy, bud! We're missing you over here.
Nice stories, my friend. I will write some soon, as well. Perhaps we have the same cold... somehow?
glad to hear you are settling in well. I hope the banking thing gets a bit easier for you, those crazy Israelis oh wait i mean ... "you guys" are crazy :) Israel seems to truly suit you. It's good to hear that you are meeting lots of people and doing well.
peace, r
Post a Comment