Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No Turning Back!

חברי,
Today is my 3 month anniversary of Aliyah. This is a big deal because even if I decide to do ירידה (move out of Israel) I no longer give up my Israeli citizenship. If I leave today, חס ושלום, my children will be Israeli. This is a big implication! The first year, and certainly the first few months, is the most trying for the oleh. I am incredibly thankful that I have the opportunity to fulfill my destiny in this country, which my people had been exiled from for over 2000 years.

Yes, the last few months have been a roller-coaster, and I expect nothing less of the months to come. However, lately things in my life have really been falling into place. 

I finished everything I needed to with the army and have received a physical profile and draft date. Due to my high prescription in my eyes my profile is 72. To give you some reference, the highest someone can receive is a 97, the level below that is 82, and the level below is 72. There are no in-betweens. With a physical rating of 97 you can do anything קרבי (combat) related, including special units. With an 82 you can do most things combat related, maybe excluding special units and צנחנים (paratroopers). With a 72 you can pretty much only do tanks, artillery, and the navy. Anything below this level you can only do something job related in the army. Out of these three options I am most strongly leaning towards joining the Navy. However, as I mentioned earlier it's possible to get an interview to do a chemistry related job. I called to schedule one on sunday and I got one for this Tuesday! This is really exciting because things with the army usually take at least a month. Currently my draft date is December 21st. However, I am going to try to get it moved up to August or something like that. 

I also found out today that I got a job as a מדריך (counselor) for a young Judaea summer program! I'll be working for 5 weeks with 15-17 year old kids traveling all over Israel. This is their first experience in Israel, and I'm really looking forward to sharing this amazing experience with them. 

One of my friends asked me this week "what was your best moment of Aliyah so far?" It took me a few seconds to respond, since there have been so many ups and downs, but I was able to pinpoint an exact moment. 

I remember the exact moment I decided I wanted to make aliyah. I was on birthright and we were staying in the middle of the desert at bedouin tents the night before climbing Masada. I had an amazingly spiritual moment sitting by myself with nothing but desert in front of me. When I returned to Israel last May and spent time on Kibbutz Ketura, I had many moments of meditation and elucidation about my life in a very similar geographical area. My stay on the kibbutz really aided in solidifying my decision to make Aliyah. To the point, my best moment of Aliyah was when I visited the kibbutz a month ago and was sitting, once again, by myself on top of a mountain looking into the vast expanse of the desert unable to hear anything but the drone of the wind and my own breathing. I realized, this was it, I had done it! Everything had come full circle, this is the exact place where my ancestors walked, were I initially made my decision; and here I am, sitting, as an Israeli citizen. ב"ה (thank G-d) that I, unlike so many previous generations of jews, have the amazing opportunity to be living in this land! I honestly can't ask for anything more, I am content. 

The next few weeks should prove to be quite exciting between my interview with the army, spring break, and פסח (passover) coming, there should be many stories to tell! I trust all is well with everyone back in the states (although I would like some updates!!!), and I love and miss you all terribly. Be well, and live well.

Yours,
יחיאל

1 comment:

Claudine said...

Glad to hear you're doing so well! I hear that we were THIS close to meeting up for Shabbat at Maya's! Too bad. Anyway, I may find another way to come to Israel for free, so if I do hopefully we'll have a chance to see each other :)