As some of you may know Israel has compulsory military service. Usually one can wait up to a year after arriving before you receive a letter stating that you must present for service. I have decided, however, that I would rather go do my service soon after I finish ulpan, instead of waiting around as I have at least another 6 years of school (to get my PhD). So, on sunday I went to Lishgat Giyus (the enlistment office) with Adina. We arrived at around 230 in the afternoon to a group of about 75 charedi (ultra-orthodox) boys waiting to get through security. It really was an interesting sight. After we got in we went to the office specifically for Olim (which is really nice, as there was NO line). I filled out a form, the commander signed it, and they told me I am obligated to do 24 months due to my age and aliyah date. This is exactly what I had expected, so no surprises there. The next step is to have a full physical examination, which will be an all day thing on monday feb. 23rd. After I get my physical rating I will have a much better idea of what I will be able to do in the military. Currently my first choice is to do science, or more specifically chemistry, however, if I am unable to do this I would really like to be in the Navy. At this point I honestly have no idea what is possible, as nothing in Israel is set until you have finished (although there is still the reserves). In any case I will be happy to serve מדינת ישראל (the state of Israel) for whatever she needs. I hope all is well back in the states!
Yours,
-Yachiel



No comments:
Post a Comment