This will be my last post in America before my trip.
Although there is currently a dangerous situation in the south, it will not affect my trip. I will be staying in Jerusalem, far from where the maneuvers are. However, it is a bit of an unsettling experience. Things in Israel have been relatively quiet for some time, and the fact that this violence has unravelled so quickly has made me think about
a lot of things. Unfortunately, this fighting is part of being an Israeli and it is something I must begin to get used to in my life. I have faith in Hashem (g-d) that everything will be alright. And, as I've promised my parents, I won't be riding buses in Jerusalem in the very near future (at least until things quiet down a
bit).
That all being said, everything is set for my Aliyah!!! I packed up my entire life today. All it took was a suitcase, duffel bag, saxophone, and backpack. A move like this really makes one realize how much superfluous stuff you have! There was so much crap in my dorm room, I couldn't believe it! I mean, what do we really need to live? Some clothes and a few things that are meaningful to us, being my sax and some pictures of family. Honestly, I probably could have fit it all into a single suitcase, but the weight limits being what they are today held me back. What ever happened to the days when you could check a 75 lb bag for free, AND get free soda and peanuts! What is this world coming to?!?!?!?
I applied to fly with an organization called Nefesh B'Nefesh (NBN) or Jewish Souls United (I think...). This group is advanta
geous because you usually have an entire El Al jumbo jet reserved for people making Aliyah. That is what I was originally supposed to do, however, the flight was cancelled, due t
o some flight route trouble, and now I am flying a day later on Dec. 30th. Instead of the entire airplane there are blocks of seats reserved for the people making Aliyah, 160 people on my trip. Along with this, they try t
o ease the governmental bureaucracy that comes with moving to Israel. I will be receiving my Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card) when I get off the plane, instead of having to go to four different gov't offices. They also have a great support network in Israel for Olim Chadashim (new immigrants).
So, there it is. My flight is out of JFK at 6pm this tuesday December 30th. If you have any question, email me! Oh, and h
ere are a few picture from graduation (if you haven't seen them already)!



4 comments:
I can totally empathize with finding out there is WAY too much crap in your dorm- seeing as I'll be living in your dorm very soon, I had to start packing up stuff in my own before I left. It was ridiculous!! And I know what you mean when you say there are only a few things that you really need...it's that thought that has kind of been giving me a drive to just go, pack up the things i need, and just take a trip. Anywhere- just out to see the world. (i'm going to be writing a blog about this soon...if you care to read...lol!)
All in all though, I wish you luck and safety as you travel. I'm really glad that I will be able to keep in touch with you this way, because, as you said so aptly, it's unsettling how quickly the violence has unraveled...and now that there's someone I care about living so close to such things, it makes it so much more real, and frightening. You'll definitely be in my thoughts- have a good flight. I can't wait to see what is yet to come for you :)
mikey
Jonathan,
Words fail to convey all the good I hope for you as your life continues to unfold. Make the most of it!
LeBron
if there is one thing i learned in israel this summer it is that no matter how dangerous the news makes israel seem or no matter how dangerous it actually is, you will always feel safe in your heart because of the connection to the land and the people. You will be plenty safe and you will have one hell of a good time.
have a safe flight and don't forget to clap and sing when you land :) hahaha!
rachel
hey man,
i'm sure you'll be fine in israel, but i feel obliged to say: stay safe, be smart, and don't take any chances that you may regret.
That being said, you're a smart, intuitive individual who will be more than fine abroad. Live it up, soak it in, blog frequently. I'm sure you'll be happy with this new experience and it will be a really great thing to look back on and be proud of. You are truly inspiring.
Love you bro! Safe flight and safe travels in Israel!
Andy
Post a Comment